Friday, June 5, 2015

"The Art Of" and the term "Imagery" - One and the Same...

When I hear music of the greats, I almost always 'see' shapes and movements forming before my mind's eyes.
I often think  of the fragment of a melody or rhythm, or a harmonic continuum, any one of which can build into the larger forms which comprise to give us the final masterpiece(we  in music call the process "Motive Structure"), as kinds of cornerstones that are metamorphic elements connecting to form the finalized composition that we hear and/or perform. And I constantly 'see' that edifice being built as I listen and/or play.
I form images of design when I witness Ballet. I am in awe of the 'imagery' that forms in the 'mind's eye' of any creative entity I encounter. I 'see' the immediate world surrounding the character I am reading about; from an Agatha Christie  Miss Marple to an Oscar Wilde Dorian Gray.  I  am immersed in the pictures painted by the words of  Sun Tzu in "The Art of War"; pictures so powerful that they continue to affect military thinking  in our times.As an example, military giants such as Douglas MacArthur and George Patton continued to go to this work, written  a half millennium before Christ. And many of the leading military figures throughout the ages firmly believed that they donned  the uniform to avert, not wage War, which stems from the words of this fabled Chinese visionary.
Today; June 5th in 1944, was the interregnum period between two historic events that occurred  during that period. On 4 June of that year, Rome was occupied by the Allies - a Rome that was declared an Open City by Adolf Hitler and spared, therefore, from  pillaging and final destruction. Hitler declaring an Open City was a rare event. Keep in mind that he ordered the destruction of Paris (which, thankfully was averted) as the Allies approached from the west.
And, of course, on June 6th  of that year began the liberation of Western Europe - D-Day.
One of the most illuminating examples of "The Art of War" is given us during this period.  In  1942, Winston Churchill wrote a letter to Louis Mountbatten citing a need for " a floating port, made of concrete, needed in the event that a strategically placed natural port might  be impossible to occupy in order to disgorge invading troops from the sea."
The result was the design and construction of two gigantic concrete ports, each slightly larger than the port of Dover, which were floated across the English Channel on D-Day, so that both the thousands of  troops and the tons of materials accompanying them could be unloaded. This operation was called "Mulberry," and one of the ports was named "Winston" in honor of the Prime Minister.
An example of 'imagery' endemic to the process we call War? I think so.
Human genius can appear in the most surprising form...
As I have stated before; that image I see in the mirror while shaving continues, for me, to be the greatest Mystery I know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home